SIMERAL NMR TRAVEL AWARD - CHEMISTRY
The Simeral NMR Travel Award provides funds for graduate students of the Department of Chemistry at LSU to travel to important NMR conference (examples: ENC; PANIC; SMASH; Gordon Conferences on NMR; and related), NMR workshops and training events, and for special NMR analysis outside of LSU. The award reimburses up to $1500 of eligible travel expenses. Students may receive this award once during their Ph.D. studies. If traveling to a national or international conference, preference will be given to applicants who are presenting the results of their doctoral research in the form of an oral presentation or poster (first author). Applicants must have the recommendation of their major professor and be a Ph.D. student in the Department of Chemistry.
There are two annual deadlines for these awards:
- November 1 for registration deadlines from January 1 through June 30.
- May 1 for registration deadlines from July 1 – December 31. Awards will be made based on the availability of funds.
- The student must fill out the form included on the next page, and both the student and major professor must sign the form.
- The student must provide a recent C.V. and a 1-page statement explaining the reasons for the travel and why it is important to their Ph.D. studies and career.
- The major professor must submit a 1-page letter of support for the student’s application.
- The student must submit a proposed, itemized budget.
- Please submit applications electronically to Kim Mollere, Graduate Coordinator in the Chemistry Graduate Office.
- The faculty committee for graduate student travel awards will make the student selection with input from the NMR-research intensive faculty (currently Professors Cook, Macnaughtan, and Wang).
- Students selected for the award must provide a 1-page written report on what they learned and/or how they benefitted from the travel (examples: inspiring seminar, personal interaction at your poster, networking opportunity, data collected) before travel will be reimbursed. The report should be emailed to Kim Mollere, Graduate Coordinator in the Chemistry Graduate Office.
- Students are responsible for following all LSU procedures for travel authorization and reimbursement.
- Funds will be disbursed via SAE, Student Award Entry process.
The Simeral Award is part of the BAM Financial system and will need to follow the policy and procedures associate with the BAM system.
Dr. Larry S. Simeral was born in California and received his undergraduate degree from Occidental College in Los Angeles. He began graduate school at Colorado State University, but moved with his advisor to the University of California at Davis, from whence he received his Ph.D. in analytical/physical chemistry. He pursued postdoctoral studies at UC San Diego and began his long and distinguished career in the chemical industry at Ethyl Corporation in 1979,
becoming part of Albemarle Corporation in 1994. Larry held several leadership and advisory positions, retiring as Distinguished Advisor of Analytical Research and Quality in 2014.
In retirement, Larry has become affiliated with the Department of Chemistry at LSU, where he is particularly interested in helping our students with their professional development. He serves as a mentor in the NSF I-Corps program. In 2016 he was the Chair of the Baton Rouge Local Section of the ACS. During this time he ran a video competition that ultimately sponsored a group of undergraduates in our SAACS club to attend the Southwest Regional Meeting in Galveston. Inspired by the opportunity this provided for students to present their research and to network, Larry has started this travel award in his name, in the area nearest and dearest to his research heart.